Crucial Tips to remember when Traveling with Pets in a Car
Setting out for a holiday, vacation or just a simple weekend getaway accompanied by your pet does not necessarily have to be a stressful affair. In fact with the essential preparations, a trip along with your pet would not only be hassle-free but also an enjoyable experience.
In the following discussion, let us explore some of the important tips that you need to keep in the back of your mind while traveling with your pets in a car.
Should my pet travel?
You must focus on your pet’s safety and well-being at first. If your beloved companion is injured, have a nervous temperament or any other serious condition that would make the journey uncomfortable it is better to leave him at home with a trustworthy caretaker.
Photo Gallery Traveling with Pets in a Car
Traveling with Pets in a Car Images
• You would certainly not want to travel with a sick pet. Thus, before the tour, take your pet to a veterinarian for a medical checkup and make sure that he is up-to-date with all the important vaccinations. Also, procure a health certificate to have a hassle-free journey.
• You need to fabricate a plan, which would confine your pet in the vehicle. This is a vital aspect that needs much attention. According to studies, many pets were killed or injured because they were given free access to the means of transportation. An overly enthusiastic pet could also distract a driver and cause accidents. Thus, use the necessary barriers like seat belts or travel crates to have a safe journey.
• An identification card must be appended with the pet; it would go a long way ensuring his safe return if he runs off or gets separated from you. Remember to put your address and contact number on the tag so that the lost pet could be returned to you with little effort.
• While packing, do not forget to take an abundant supply of pet food. Other things that must be carried along are water bowls, litter box, bedding, leash, collar and a first-aid kit with all the necessary medications.
When on Road
• You must not allow your pets to stick their heads out of the window of the vehicle as your pet could get wounded by the flying debris. Do not travel with your pet on a pickup truck as it is considered potentially dangerous.
• Do not travel continuously and take frequent exercise and bathroom breaks. When outside the vehicle, make sure that your pet is wearing a collar and on a leash with a proper identification card.
• You must keep your pet properly hydrated. Sometimes traveling could upset his stomach. Remember to take large amounts of water and ice cubes that could be used in such critical situations.
• While traveling do not feed your pet anything other than their regular food. Also, keep the intake levels low. Do not leave your pet alone in a parked vehicle. The temperature of a stationed vehicle rises quickly and it is also an open invitation to thieves.
If you could follow the above-mentioned tips, then traveling with your pet would surely be a memorable and rewarding experience. It is also necessary to choose the cars properly while on a trip, where your precious pet comes along. According to the veteran pet shop owners, Honda CR-V stands to be one of the best cars for traveling with pets. Its amazing features and comfortable seating arrangements would make the trip awesome.