13. The treasure of Hoxne. In November of 1992, near the village of Hoxne in Suffolk, the largest and richest treasure hoard ever found in the entire island was uncovered by accident. Chula Vista Metro Map It consists of 565 golden solidi principally from Arcadius and Honorius, 60 miliarenses, 14,000 silver siliquae and more than 200 objects in gold and silver, on many of which signs of Christian belief appear. The hoard can be dated to between the middle of the 4th and the first decade of the 5th c.
G. Baldwin-Brown, The Arts in Early England, 6 vols., London 1903-1937; A. Mahr ed., Christian Art in Ancient Ireland, I, Dublin 1932; E.A. Lowe, Codices Latini Antiquiores, 12 parts, Oxford 1934-1971; T.D. Kendrick, Anglo-Saxon Art to A.D. 900, London 1938; J. Raftery ed., Christian Art in Ancient Ireland, II, Dublin 1941; E.H. Alton – P. Meyer – G.O. Simms, Evangeliorum Quattuor Codex Cennanensis: Introduction and Facsimile, 3 vols., Bern 1950-1951; R.B.K. Stevenson, Pictish Art, in F.T. Wainwright ed., The Problem of the Picts, Edinburgh 1955, 97- 128; C.F. Battiscombe ed., The Relics of St. Cuthbert, Oxford 1956; T.D. Kendrick et al., Evangeliorum Quattuor Codex Lindisfarnensis, 2 vols.: I, facsimile, Bern 1956; II, Commentary, Bern 1960; R.B.K. Stevenson, The Chronology and Relationship of Some Irish and Scottish Crosses: Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland 86 1956 84-96; A. Grabar – C. Nordenfalk, Early Medieval Painting from the Fourth to Eleventh Century Book Illumination, ed. C. Nordenfalk, New York 1957; M. & L. De Paor, Early Christian Ireland, London 1958; E.A. Lowe, English Uncial, Oxford 1960; J.M.C. Toynbee, Art in Roman Britain, London 1962; Id., Art in Britain under the Romans, Oxford 1964; R.J. Cramp, Early Northumbrian Sculpture, Jarrow upon Tyne 1965; F. Henry, Irish Art in the Early Christian Period to A.D. 800, London 1965; H.M. & J. Taylor, AngloSaxon Architecture, Cambridge 1965; R.L.S. Bruce-Mitford, The Reception by the Anglo-Saxon of Mediterranean Art Following Their Conversion from Ireland and Rome: XIV Settimana di studio del Centro italiano di studi sull’Alto Medioevo, Spoleto 1967; S.S. Frere, Britannia: A History of Roman Britain, London 1967; I. Henderson, The Picts, London 1967; M.W. Barley – R.P.C. Hanson eds.
Chula Vista Metro Map Photo Gallery
Maybe You Like Them Too
- COMO THE TREASURY PERTH,
- MASSERIA TRAPANÀ PUGLIA, ITALY
- DOMAINE DE MANVILLE PROVENCE, FRANCE
- A PLANNER’S TOP LOCATION TIPS
- Beverly Hills Hotel, LOS ANGELES